New Orleans BBQ Shrimp is made with juicy, succulent shrimp cooked in a buttery Worcestershire sauce that has been heavily seasoned with black pepper and Cajun seasonings. The addition of fresh lemon juice brightens up the dish and makes you forget just how much butter you’re consuming. This dish is not on any diet plan!
There’s no need to break out your grill because it’s prepared conveniently, right on your stove top. It takes under 15 minutes to put this meal on the table and the flavor is insanely delicious!
New Orleans BBQ Shrimp has been around since the 1950’s when Pascal’s Manale Restaurant & Bar opened in New Orleans. The chef was attempting to recreate a dish that one of the customers had described from a trip to Chicago. By the time he was done, he had an even better recipe and this was to become a New Orleans menu staple, BBQ Shrimp.
The best part of of this dish is the rich sauce. Nothing beats a warm slice of crusty french bread drenched in it! The bread is sliced, topped with butter and Asiago cheese and then popped in the oven for a few minutes to melt. The result is amazing!
This “BBQ” sauce is addictive!How to serve New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
- This dish makes for an excellent appetizer, as well as the main part of a meal.
- The traditional way to serve BBQ Shrimp is with the peels on, but, you can always peel them before you throw them in the sauce.
- Serve with french bread for dipping.
- Get your fingers dirty and enjoy!
New Orleans BBQ Shrimp is made with juicy, succulent shrimp cooked in a buttery Worcestershire sauce that has been heavily seasoned with black pepper and Cajun seasonings.
- 1 stick butter plus 4 tablespoons for bread
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, slice the rinds and reserve
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, devained with peels on
- 4 oz. Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 loaf of french bread
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan, over medium high heat and add the garlic, lemon juice, lemon rinds, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, Cajun seasoning and hot sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook for another 3-5 minutes while stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked.
- Slice the french bread and coat one side with melted butter and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the french bread from the oven and serve alongside the BBQ Shrimp.
Do not over cook the shrimp. They will become tough.
This recipe was originally posted in 2015 and has been updated and re-posted June 2018.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 766
- Sugar: 7
- Fat: 49
- Carbohydrates: 51
- Protein: 34
Keywords: cajun food, shrimp recipe