Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Pasta is a dairy-free pasta recipe that can be served as an entree or as a delicious side-dish. We all love recipes that are simple to put together and this dish is no exception. It’s a quick, weeknight meal that can be on the table in under 30 minutes!
When you’re feeding a large family, you tend to see how far you can stretch a dollar and pasta is one of the things that can help you do just that. This recipe for Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Pasta is inexpensive and tasty!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY SUN-DRIED TOMATO & BASIL PASTA (68 sec):
The pasta sauce is made from vegetable broth, dairy-free sour cream and a few seasonings like garlic and onion powder, red pepper flakes and nutritional yeast … to name a few. A flour “slurry” is used to thicken it up and make it super rich and creamy!
Sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic are a classic flavor combination which when combined with the creamy sauce, make this the perfect pasta dish!
HOW TO SERVE CREAMY SUN-DRIED TOMATO & BASIL PASTA
- This pasta dish goes really well with Italian or French bread that has been lightly toasted in the oven.
- Serve this as the main entree with a fresh side salad.
- Make this a side-dish to accompany steak or grilled chicken.
- This recipe re-heats well. Keep leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge and warm up in the microwave or on the stove-top in a non-stick pan.
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Pasta is a dairy-free pasta recipe that can be served as the main entree or as a delicious side-dish. It’s a quick weeknight meal that can be put together in under 30 minutes!
- 1 lb. pasta, cooked (your choice )
- 1 7oz. jar of sun dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth or stock, (1/2 cup reserved for thickening with flour)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream (I use Tofutti brand)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped (about 20 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, saute the sun-dried tomatoes for 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth and the sour cream to the pan and stir over medium heat until well blended. Stir in the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder, cracked red pepper and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the reserved 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and flour in a small bowl and stir until there are no lumps. Pour the flour mixture into the pan and stir until blended and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the basil and pasta, stir and cook until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Make this dish gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta and corn starch instead of flour to thicken the sauce.
This recipe was originally published in July 2015 and updated in June 2018.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 411
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 76
- Protein: 15
Keywords: easy pasta recipe, pasta side dish