Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Pasta is a dairy-free pasta recipe that can be served as an entree or as a delicious side-dish.
We all love recipes that are simple to put together and this dish is no exception. It's a quick, weeknight meal that can be on the table in under 30 minutes!
When you're feeding a large family, you tend to see how far you can stretch a dollar and pasta is one of the things that can help you do just that.
This recipe for Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Pasta is inexpensive and tasty!
Step by step instructions
Saute the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic for a few minutes to help release the oils and flavors. Add the vegetable stock and sour cream. (Make sure to reserve 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock for the slurry in step 4!)
Stir until well combined. Next add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and cracked red pepper. Stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Now it's time to thicken the sauce.
Combine the remaining vegetable stock and flour in a small measuring cup or mixing bowl. Use a small whisk to mix the two together and get rid of any clumps!
Pour the slurry into the pan and stir. As it heats up, it should start to thicken!
Add the cooked pasta and then pile on the chopped fresh basil!
Stir all of the ingredients together and let simmer until everything is heated through.
Serve hot and top with extra cracked red pepper and fresh basil!
How to serve
- This pasta dish goes really well with Italian or French bread that has been lightly toasted in the oven.
- Serve this as the main entree with a fresh side salad.
- Make this a side-dish to accompany steak or grilled chicken.
- This recipe re-heats well. Keep leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge and warm up in the microwave or on the stove-top in a non-stick pan.
Other pasta recipe you might want to try!
Did you make this Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta recipe? Let me know how it turned out by ★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leave a comment below!!
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Pasta
- 1 lb. pasta cooked
- 1 7 oz. jar of sun dried tomatoes drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth or stock (1/2 cup reserved for thickening with flour)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh basil roughly chopped (about 20 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, saute the sun-dried tomatoes for 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth and the sour cream to the pan and stir over medium heat until well blended. Stir in the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder, cracked red pepper and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the reserved 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and flour in a small bowl and stir until there are no lumps. Pour the flour mixture into the pan and stir until blended and the sauce begins to thicken. Add the basil and pasta, stir and cook until heated through. Serve warm.
This recipe was originally published in July 2015 and updated in June 2018.