Crab Meat au Gratin is a hot and cheesy crab dip loaded with succulent crab meat. Ready in less than 30 minutes, it makes a great appetizer for game day and holiday parties.
This recipe was inspired by Val's Marina, a simple little seafood restaurant that was located on the Amite River in Maurepas, LA for over 50 years until Hurricane Katrina hit.
Crab Meat Au Gratin was their version of hot crab dip and it was my favorite item on the menu.
This is my version and I know you're going to love how easy it is to make.
How to Make Crab Meat au Gratin
Start out by making a roux which is a combination of flour and fat, in this case butter, used to thicken a dish and give it an extra creaminess.
Heat the butter and flour in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until it's a light brown color.
Add the vegetables and sauté until they are soft. Next add the cheese and seasonings and stir until melted.
Now you're ready for the star of the show ... White Lump Crab-Meat ... um yes please!
Gently stir in the crab-meat and then transfer the mixture to a small baking dish or a large ramekin. Top with shredded cheese, green onions and paprika.
Put the dish on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the top is starting to turn brown and all the cheese has melted.
This dip tastes great with saltine or butter crackers, but, you could literally eat this stuff by the spoonful. No crackers needed!
Once you take a bite of this Hot Crab Dip, you'll be hooked!
6 easy party appetizers to make during the holidays
- Pink Shrimp Dip
- New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
- Easy Hummus Recipe
- Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp Dip
- Classic Deviled Eggs
- Goat Cheese Truffles
Crab Meat au Gratin
- large ramekin or small baking dish
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 3 teaspoons flour
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup celery (chopped)
- 5 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1 egg yolk (beaten)
- ¾ cup Swiss cheese (shredded, reserve 3 tablespoons for topping)
- 8 oz. white crab meat
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup green onion (chopped)
- dash of paprika
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour and stir until combined and lightly browned. Add the onion and celery to the mixture and cook on low-medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the evaporated milk, egg yolk, cheese, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper, and stir continuously until the cheese has melted.
- Gently stir in the crab meat and cook on low heat for 5 minutes to heat through. Turn oven broiler on to HIGH. Scoop the mixture into a small oven-safe baking dish and top with reserved Swiss cheese, green onion and paprika.
- Place the baking dish onto a cookie sheet and place under broiler for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and started to turn brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and serve warm with crackers.