Lobster Mac and Cheese is the ultimate creamy, pasta comfort food. It's loaded with 3 types of cheese, juicy chunks of lobster and topped with a bacon and breadcrumb topping.
I love pasta, especially paired with seafood like this blackened shrimp ravioli. It is one of my favorites when I'm looking for something quick and easy to throw together.
And so is this amazing lobster mac and cheese recipe!
- lobster tails: You'll use the equivalent of 4 lobster tails. Buy either in the shell or peeled. If the lobster is already cooked, skip that step!
- pasta: 12 oz. of any dry pasta of your choice.
- cheese: Shredded Swiss, parmesan and white cheddar.
- butter, flour and milk: The flour and butter are cooked first to make a roux which is used to thicken the mac and cheese. Milk is added to thin into down before adding the cheeses.
- breadcrumbs: Italian or plain breadcrumbs.
- bacon: Roughly 4 strips of bacon, extra crispy.
How to make lobster mac and cheese
Making the best lobster mac and cheese from scratch is super easy. Let's dive into the details!
Step 1: Boil the lobster tails in salted water for 8-10 minutes, remove and let cool. Cut into 1 " pieces. Boil pasta according to package directions and drain. Set both aside.
Step 2: Fry bacon, let cool and cut into small pieces. Combine 2 tablespoons melted butter, bacon bits, breadcrumbs and ⅓ cup shredded parmesan in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Make a roux by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy stockpot and stirring in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour until combined. Add the milk and whisk until smooth.
Add 2 cups shredded white cheddar, 1 ½ cups shredded Swiss cheese and ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese. Whisk until the cheese is melted.
Step 4: Add the boiled pasta and lobster pieces to the cheese mixture and stir to combine. Pour into a lightly greased casserole dish.
Step 5: Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top of the pasta and bake in a 425°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Serve hot out of the oven!
How to store lobster mac and cheese
Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, either microwave single servings or place in oven-safe baking dish in a preheated 425°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Easy pasta recipes
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta
- Sun-dried Tomato Basil Pasta
- Blackened Shrimp and Ravioli
- Southwest Pasta Salad
Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 4 lobster tails
- 12 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 4 strips bacon fried and cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease an 8" x 8" baking dish.
- Boil the lobster tail for 8-10 minutes, let cool, remove meat from shell and cut into bite size pieces.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions or until al dente, drain and set aside.
- In a heavy stockpot, melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking until combined. Gradually add the whole milk, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Stir in the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 3 cheeses and stir until melted. Pour the cooked pasta and lobster pieces into the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
This recipe was originally posted in 2014 and updated with improved ingredients, recipe instructions and photos. Original recipe.