Lobster Mac and Cheese is definitely a tasty spin on a classic. This will be your favorite new way to make mac and cheese!
Lobster Mac and Cheese
Lobster … √
Macaroni … √
Cheese … √
Enough said …
Let’s do this!
How to Make Lobster Mac and Cheese:
Cook the Lobster and Pasta. Boil the lobster tails in salted water for about 8-10 minutes, remove and let cool. Remove the meat from the tails and cut into bite size pieces. Boil a pound of elbow macaroni for about 5-6 minutes, or until it is “al dente”.
Make a Roux. The base of this mac and cheese is a roux made from equal parts of butter and flour. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook for about a minute, whisking constantly, and then gradually add the heavy cream. Keep whisking until the roux is smooth and creamy. Add the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese has melted and everything has come together.
Layer the ingredients. Combine the cooked macaroni with the cheese mixture and spread a third of it onto the bottom of a greased 8″ x 8″ baking dish. Sprinkle a third of the lobster meat onto the macaroni and cheese layer.
Cover the lobster layer with a third of the shredded cheese. Keep layering until you have the final layer of shredded cheese on top and then sprinkle bread crumbs to cover the entire dish. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes, or until it is bubbly and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
The Parrano cheese gives this macaroni a tangy bite that I just love! Gruyere cheese is a great substitution.
Serve it as a hearty main dish or try it alongside a big juicy steak for a new twist on “Surf and Turf”!
Try Crab Meat au Gratin if you love seafood!Print
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2–3 lobster tails
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 4 oz. Parrano or Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
- Boil the elbow macaroni for 5 minutes or until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Boil the lobster tail for 8-10 minutes, let cool and cut into bite size pieces.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking until combined. Gradually add the heavy cream, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Stir in the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Pour the cooked macaroni into the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Place a third of the macaroni mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish and then sprinkle with a third of the lobster meat and then with a third of the shredded cheese.
- Continue to layer the dish until you have the last layer of shredded cheese on top.
- Sprinkle the dish with the italian breadcrumbs and bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Keywords: lobster Mac and cheese, surf and turf recipe