This Homemade Salted Caramel recipe is easy to make from scratch. Enjoy the flavors of fall with this must-have dessert topping!
It's time for baking all the things. Take your fall desserts to a new level with homemade salted caramel.
The whole process takes about 20 minutes and you'll have enough caramel for a few desserts!
Salted Caramel Ingredients
This sauce is made with simple pantry ingredients.
- white granulated sugar
- heavy cream
How to make homemade salted caramel
Place the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Use a spatula to stir until the sugar is dissolved and has turned a light golden brown color.
Add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. The mixture will start to bubble up so be very careful. Turn the heat off and add the cream and salt.
Let the caramel cool completely and then transfer to a glass container with a lid. Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Tips for making the best salted caramel
- BE CAREFUL!! When the sugar is melting it is VERY HOT! Use caution when handling the sugar to prevent burning your self.
- Use a deep saucepan to avoid over spill. The caramel will bubble up when you add the butter and the cream.
- Don't wait for the sugar to get to dark before putting the butter and cream in in order to prevent burning the caramel.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 month. Remove from fridge and let come to room temperature before using.
5 dessert recipes to drizzle with salted caramel
Homemade Salted Caramel Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the sugar in a heavy sauce pan and cook on medium-high heat stirring until the sugar has melted and turned an amber color.
- Stir in the butter, one tablespoon at a time, while whisking vigorously until fully combined. (The mixture will bubble up fiercely so make sure to keep your face away from the pot while adding the butter.)
- Remove from the heat and then add the heavy cream while whisking constantly until smooth. Add salt and whisk to incorporate.
- Let the caramel cool and then store in a glass container with a lid.
- Let the caramel cool and then store in a glass container with a lid. Store in fridge for up to 1 month.
- Be very careful, the melted sugar is very hot.
- Use a deep saucepan so that the sugar does not spill over the sides when adding the butter and cream.