Rainbow Cupcakes are perfect for birthday parties or any fun celebration! They make a surprisingly easy, but impressive dessert that your guests will love. A box of white cake mix, food coloring, frosting and some sprinkles are all you need to make these beautiful cupcakes!
Don’t you just love when a recipe is easy and super impressive? If so, you’ve got to try these Rainbow Cupcakes!
I made them for a rollerskating party, but you can use them for a rainbow party, a unicorn themed party or even a mermaid themed party. Just change the colors to go with whatever theme you’ve got!
How to make rainbow cupcakes:
- Start by mixing the white cake box mix according to package directions. Divide the batter evenly into separate bowls according to how many colors you would like to have in the cupcake. I used 4 colors: purple, blue, yellow and pink. Dye each bowl to your desired color.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and alternate dropping spoonfuls of each color into the liners until you run out of batter. (Watch the video above to see how I did it!)
- Bake the cupcakes for the time instructed on your cake mix. Remove from the oven and let cool before frosting!
- Use a store-bought frosting to make it super easy and color with food dye. If you want to made homemade frosting, this Cream Cheese Frosting works great with any flavor cupcake!
- Don’t forget to top with colorful sprinkles!
Store the cupcakes in the fridge until ready to serve!
Easy and beautiful cupcakes that you can make to impress your guests!
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients listed on back of box
- food color of choice (I used Wilton in Rose, Sky Blue, Violet and Lemon Yellow)
- package of white frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions and divide evenly into separate bowls. Add a different food color to each bowl and stir each one to fully incorporate the food color into the batter.
- Begin filling the liners by layering a spoonful of each color on top of each other until the liner is 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Let cool completely before icing.
- Use food coloring to dye the buttercream the desired color. Put into a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Add sprinkles and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 44
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 61
- Protein: 1
Keywords: birthday party cupcakes, rainbow cake