Crockpot Shredded Chicken is an easy, slow cooker recipe for making small or large batches of shredded chicken!
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for an all-purpose shredded chicken recipe.
Use it right away or freeze to make weeknight meals quick and easy!
Having shredded chicken on hand can be a real time saver during busy week days or even for meal prepping.
How to make crockpot shredded chicken
Trim the excess fat from chicken breasts and place them into the slow cooker.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and toss in order to coat the chicken breasts evenly.
Turn the slow cooker onto the LOW setting and allow to cook for 5-6 hours OR on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place into a bowl. Use two forks to shred the chicken breasts.
The liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker can be strained and saved for chicken stock.
Pour it into a mason jar, using a strainer to remove any bits, and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
It can also be frozen if you know you won't be using it anytime soon.
The stock can be used in place of water to add extra flavor to rice or potato dishes.
How to store
- Store shredded chicken in the fridge in an air-tight container or in a bowl covered tightly with a piece of cling-wrap. Use the chicken within 4 days.
- To freeze shredded chicken, place in a food-safe freezer bag making sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing. Removing the air from the bag will help to prevent freezer burn. Label the bag with the date and place in freezer for 6-9 months.
Other recipes you may like:
Easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Trim the fat from the chicken breasts. Place all of the ingredients into a slow cooker, toss to coat chicken evenly with seasonings. Cook on LOW heat for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker, place into a bowl and use two forks to pull the chicken apart.