This easy chicken and rice casserole is a delicious and quick weeknight meal made with only 6 ingredients and ready in under an hour.
Tender chicken and rice are combined with a creamy sauce for a hearty meal the whole family with love.
Dinner casseroles like chicken parmesan casserole and chicken bacon ranch casserole are the best weeknight meals because they are so easy to put together. This easy chicken and rice casserole is no exception!
It combines shredded chicken with white rice, cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise and a few other goodies to create an easy family meal.
How to make Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, mayo, cream of mushroom soup and seasonings. Add the shredded chicken and rice and stir to combine.
Spread the mixture into an 8" x 8" baking dish that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 400°F.
Serve hot with a side of garlic knots or bread!
Tips for making the best chicken and rice casserole
- This casserole will save you time in the kitchen because you can easily make it ahead of time and create a freezer meal. Transfer it to the fridge in the morning before you leave for work and it will be thawed out by the time you get home. Bake according to directions!
- Substitute cooked or grilled chicken that has been cubed for shredded chicken.
- Cream of mushroom soup can be replaced with cream of chicken soup if you already have some in the pantry!
- This is a great recipe for meal prepping. It reheats great in the microwave, so pack some for your work lunch instead of spending money on fast food!
- Whether you've got 2 people to feed or 8, this dish can be doubled or tripled to feed even the biggest families!
How to store and freeze
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze baked or unbaked casserole in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
- Reheat in a 375°F oven until heated through.
More easy casserole recipes
- instant pot lemon herb chicken and rice
- Green Chili Corn Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 cooked chicken breasts shredded
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Mix the melted butter, cream of mushroom soup, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings together in a large bowl. Add the chicken and rice and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Steve S says
This was fantastic! I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9'x13' pan and another small round dish for my vegetarian, with Mindful Chik'n in hers, which was easy because I just mixed everything together except for the chicken, and then poured it over her faux chicken, then mixed the real chicken into the bowl and spread it into the large pan. I substituted about 1 cup of Miracle Whip for the mayo (because that's what I had), and I threw in some diced onion and a handful of frozen peas, too. (I forgot to grease the pans but it was not necessary after all.) Delicious - everyone loved it! I will definitely add this to my regular lineup.
Great base for a casserole when I needed to use cream of mushroom and some shredded chicken!
Added some chopped onion, more garlic, broccoli, peas, and used cauliflower rice. Also added parmesan to the top.
Put in a dutch oven for about 50 minutes, just to make the cauliflower rice super soft, it was great!
Will definitely use this as an idea for future dinners
I Used 1/2 as much rice, added 3 cups finely chopped cooked broccoli and 1/4 chopped onion. Substituted 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt and only 2 tbsp, mayonnaise. Turned out great! But next time I’d use 2 cups brown rice.
Heather Kaley says
Ya I think 3 cups was overkill lol so I added another can of soup and more chicken, salt and pepper. I also added shredded sharp and Mexican blend cheese. I subbed almond milk and smart balance butter to lower the calories. I’ll definitely use less rice next time. I cooked my rice in low sodium chicken broth! Came out yum. Will continue to perfect. I like the broccoli idea I’m gonna try that next time!
Can’t wait the make this for my kids. Looks so easy!
Make sure that you make a double batch! 🙂
Nothing fills a belly and a hreat like a good old fashioned casserole. This one looks like it could be a new family fave!