Lentil Soup is so easy to make with ingredients you probably have in your pantry right now! It’s perfect anytime of the year!
Baby it’s cold outside, about 25° to be exact. You have to remember, I’ve spent my whole life in the south, so 25° to me is like -25° to most people. I’m not a fan of winter, and I whine like a baby when I have to go outside for anything. To me, besides the holidays, the only good thing about cold weather is my excuse to start making soup. Lentil soup is filling and nutritious and perfect if you are looking for a low calorie soup recipe. This recipe packs a ton of flavor without a lot of fat and calories.
Lentils are good for you! Studies show that they help lower cholesterol and aid in the prevention of heart disease. They are also an excellent source of protein which can help in weight loss by giving you a feeling of fullness.
To make the base of this soup, saute onions and celery in olive oil. Once they are soft, add the carrots and seasonings to the pan and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. This will help the herbs to open up and get the flavor popping.
Next, add the water, chicken stock and Goya Ham Concentrate to the pot and bring to a boil. I use Goya Ham Concentrate a lot when I’m making soups. It gives the soup a smokey ham flavor without adding calories and fat. If you’ve never heard of it, go to their website, but you should be able to find it in most supermarkets.
Add the lentils to the pot, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and french bread. This lentil soup is even better the next day, so make a big pot and eat it throughout the week!
Other soup recipes you might like!
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Cajun Shrimp Chowder
- Turkey and Sausage Gumbo
- Spicy Red Lentils with Mushrooms
Did you make this Hot and Sour Soup recipe? Let me know how it turned out by★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leave a comment below!!
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 packets of Goya Ham Concentrate
- 1 lb. dried lentils, washed
- In a heavy stock pot, saute the onions and celery in olive oil over medium-high heat until they are soft.
- Add the carrots and seasonings to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, chicken stock and Goya Ham Concentrate and bring to a boil.
- Add the lentils, stir, and simmer on low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.