Homemade Tomato Soup is creamy and delicious! It's made with a few simple ingredients and ready to eat in about 45 minutes.
This will be your go-to tomato soup recipe!
Making homemade tomato soup is quick, easy and so much better than the concentrated stuff from the store.
There’s only a few ingredients needed to create the perfect, creamy tomato soup:
- canned tomatoes: The best canned tomatoes for homemade tomato soup are whole, peeled, San Marzano tomatoes. If you can’t find this particular type of tomato, use canned plum tomatoes.
- onions: Yellow or white onions work best.
- garlic: Use fresh garlic for best taste. Fresh can be substituted with 1 teaspoon of powdered garlic.
- chicken stock: Vegetable stock can be used instead of chicken stock to make this a vegetarian tomato soup recipe.
- uncooked white rice: A couple of tablespoons of uncooked rice are simmered along with the other ingredients. As they cook, the starches in the rice are released, creating a silky smooth soup once pureed.
- seasonings: The soup is lightly seasoned with fresh basil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Just a pinch of cinnamon gives this tomato soup that little something extra that you can’t quite put your finger on. It’s surprising and delicious!
How to make homemade tomato soup
Step1: Saute the onions in butter and olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until softened.
To the skillet add the garlic, basil, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
Step 2: Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, white rice and baking soda. (The baking soda will cause the soup to fizz when it is added to the pot.)
Cover the pan and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Baking soda cuts the acidity of the tomatoes. If you prefer not to use baking soda, add a teaspoon of sugar instead.
Step 3. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
A blender can be used to puree the soup if you have one. Carefully spoon the hot soup into the blender, blend and then add back to the pot.
Homemade tomato soup is delicious served with the BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
How to store
Store covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To freeze tomato soup, allow to cool completely and transfer to a freezer-safe bag. The soup can be kept frozen for up to 6 months.
Tomato soup is best reheated in a saucepan over low heat. It can also be reheated in a microwave.
Other soup recipes you might like.
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- French Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 basil leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 28 ounces canned whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white rice uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Melt the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onions and saute for 10 minutes or until they are softened. Add the garlic, basil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and cinnamon and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Carefully stir in the tomatoes, rice and chicken stock. Cover the pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the baking soda and then use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients until smooth. Serve hot or warm.
- A regular blender can be used to puree the soup if you do not have an immersion blender.
- If you do not want to use white rice to thicken the soup, add 2 tablespoons of flour at the same time you add the seasonings and stir in well. This will create a “roux” and will thicken the soup when it is pureed.