Homemade Tomato Soup is healthy and delicious! It’s made with a few simple ingredients and ready to eat in about 45 minutes. This will be your go-to tomato soup recipe!
This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade tomato soup. Need I say more? Is there any other recipe that can bring you right back to your childhood in an instant?
What makes this homemade tomato soup so good?
Simplicity. There’s only a few ingredients needed to create the perfect, creamy tomato soup; onions, garlic, chicken stock, white rice and of course, canned tomatoes. The soup is lightly seasoned with fresh basil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
Cinnamon?? Yes, just a pinch of cinnamon is all that is needed to give this tomato soup that little something extra that you can’t quite put your finger on. It’s surprising and delicious!
What makes this soup creamy without heavy cream? Some tomato soups are thickened with heavy cream or with flour by creating a roux when sauteing the vegetables in the first step of the recipe. In this recipe, just a couple of tablespoons of uncooked rice are simmered along with the other ingredients. As they cook, the starches in the rice are released. This is what creates a silky smooth soup once pureed. This is a great way to thicken the soup without flour or corn starch.
Making homemade tomato soup is quick and easy and so much better than the concentrated stuff, so let’s get started!!
How to make Homemade Tomato Soup:
Saute the vegetables. Place a couple tablespoons each of olive oil and butter into a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onions for about 10 minutes, or until softened. To the skillet add the garlic, basil, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for one minute.Add the remaining ingredients. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, white rice and baking soda. The baking soda will help cut the acidity of the tomatoes. It will cause the mixture to fizz, this is normal! Cover the pan and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.Puree. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and creamy. You can also use a blender to puree the soup.Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!
Tips and Tricks for making Homemade Tomato Soup:
- The best canned tomatoes for homemade tomato soup are whole, peeled, San Marzano tomatoes. If you can’t find this particular type of tomato, use canned plum tomatoes.
- If you do not want to use white rice to thicken the soup, add 2 tablespoons of flour at the same time you add the seasonings and stir in well. This will create a “roux” and will thicken the soup when it is pureed.
- This recipe calls for baking soda in order to cut the acidity of the tomatoes in the soup without having to add sugar. If you prefer not to use baking soda, add a couple of teaspoons of sugar instead.
- Tomato soup is best reheated in a saucepan over low heat.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Homemade tomato soup is delicious served with the BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Other soup recipes you might like.
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- French Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 basil leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 28 ounce can whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white rice uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Melt the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onions and saute for 10 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add the garlic, basil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and cinnamon and cook for an additional minute. Carefully add the tomatoes, rice and chicken stock, stir, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the baking soda and then use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- A regular blender can be used to puree the soup if you do not have an immersion blender.