“Instant Pot Beef Stew is so tender, rich and savory. It tastes like it’s been simmering all day long!”
Holy cow you guys … This beef stew is one of the most amazing stews I’ve ever had!
It’s so rich and savory … and the beef is SUPER tender. This is comfort food at it’s best!
What makes this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Stew so amazingly delicious?
Besides the fact that it only takes about an hour to make … this beef stew is loaded with seasonings!
Rich beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, thick tomato paste and fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme make this stew super hardy and incredibly savory.
Dip some nice crusty french bread in that sauce and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven!
Tip: To make sure I always have broth on hand … I keep a product called Better than Bouillon in my fridge at all times. I have every flavor … beef … chicken and vegetable. I used the beef flavor to make the broth for this beef stew. It’s super flavorful and really nice to have on hand. (They did NOT pay me to say this about their product)
I’ve made beef stew in my slow cooker many times .. and while I love my slow cooker … the Instant Pot gave me the same results in a fraction of the time!
I think the longest part of the process was cutting up the vegetables. Between cutting veggies … browning the meat … and cooking … it only takes about an hour start to finish!
Instant Pot Beef Stew is a REAL game changer! You can not understand how much you will love using an Instant Pot until you’ve made this stew!
As a side note: You can make this in a slow cooker if you do not have an Instant Pot. Just brown the meat in a skillet and then cook on high in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours or until the beef is tender.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs. stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3-4 cups beef broth, enough to cover the ingredients
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- fresh herbs for garnishing, thyme, chives, rosemary or parsley
- Toss the meat with the salt and pepper.
- Place the olive oil in the Instant Pot and push the SAUTE button.
- Brown the meat on all sides. Press CANCEL button to turn off SAUTE function.
- Place the remainder of the ingredients, except the cornstarch, into the Instant Pot and give it a good stir.
- Make sure the vent is in the sealed position and press the STEW button. It should say 35 minutes, NORMAL, adjust the time if necessary to 35 minutes.
- After the 35 minutes is up, let the Instant Pot natural release for 10-15 minutes and then turn the valve to venting to release any excess pressure.
- Open the lid and remove about 1 cup of liquid and let cool.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the liquid until smooth and then pour it back into the pot.
- Stir to thicken.
- Serve hot topped with fresh herbs and cracked pepper.
This is the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker I use. It’s the IP-DUO.
This post contains affiliate links.