The Best Green Smoothie is rich and creamy using a combination of frozen spinach, avocado, bananas and nut butter!
The healthy ingredients can be packaged ahead of time and frozen into individual bags which makes this simple green smoothie perfect for a quick healthy breakfast. Boost your immune system and enjoy a delicious breakfast at the same time!
This post contains affiliate links.
What are the best ingredients for a green smoothie?
There are many different versions of green smoothies but this is my personal favorite. The ingredients are:
- Spinach: I like spinach because it doesn't have a bitter taste compared to other leafy greens like kale. Feel free to use kale, swiss chard, beets greens or any leafy greens that you have on hand. Greens can be bought in bulk and kept frozen in individual freezer bags for convenience.
- Bananas: Frozen bananas help to naturally sweeten the smoothie and also help to give it a thick creamy consistency. If you are concerned about the sugar content in bananas, feel free to leave this ingredient out. You can substitute it with frozen riced cauliflower in your smoothie which will help with the consistency and nutrient content. (You won't be able to taste it!) Just adjust your sweetener to taste!
- Avocado: This is another ingredient that adds tons of vitamins and minerals as well as a wonderful creamy consistency. I like to keep the avocados frozen until I'm ready to make the green smoothie.
- Peanut Butter Powder: I like to use peanut butter powder because of the convenience. It has less fat and calories than regular nut butter so it's something that you can use to adjust macros in your smoothie. Feel free to use any nut butter of your choice. Sometimes I substitute the powder with creamy peanut butter or almond butter.
- Stevia: My favorite natural sweetener is Sweet Drops Vanilla Creme. They also sell plain and a variety of other flavored sweet drops. You can use honey, coconut sugar, pitted dates or any sweetener of your choice!
- Water: Water is used to thin out the smoothie. This can be substituted with coconut water to add more potassium or any regular or non-dairy milk.
What is the best green smoothie for weight loss?
This recipe is hands down, my favorite green smoothie for weight loss because it contains all-natural ingredients that are full of vitamins and minerals!
The spinach, avocado and banana also add fiber to this smoothie to help keep you feeling satiated. It's rich and creamy, not slushy, and has the perfect amount of natural sweetness.
Having a green smoothie with avocado for breakfast or a mid morning snack is perfect because it has enough calories to keep you full until meal time.
When is the best time to drink a green smoothie?
Green smoothies made with avocado and nut butters make a really satisfying meal replacement. The best time to drink a green smoothie is first thing in the morning or right after a workout.
If you find yourself craving something to eat between lunch and dinner, a green smoothie is a much healthier alternative to a processed snack.
How to make Best Green Smoothie Ever!
- Prepare ingredients: Start by making smoothie bags that you can put in your freezer ahead of time. Place the spinach, banana and avocado into individual bags. I like to make 6 bags at a time when I'm doing meal prep on Sundays.
- Blend the smoothie: When you are ready to make a smoothie, just toss the contents of the bag into your high speed blender with the peanut butter power (or nut butter), stevia drops and water. Blend about 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Enjoy: Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
Tips for making the Best Green Smoothie Ever!
- If your greens are not frozen make sure to blend them with the water first before adding the other ingredients. This will help to make sure they are nice and smooth before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- The peanut butter powder can be replaced with regular nut butter if you are looking for a higher fat content. It will also make the smoothie creamier.
- Place the spinach, banana and avocado into individual freezer bags. When you're ready just grab a bag from the freezer, throw it and the remaining ingredients into a blender and you'll have your smoothie ready in less than 5 minutes!
- Sweeten with stevia, maple syrup, agave or honey.
- If you do not have the ingredients frozen, substitute the water with the same amount of ice.
Other Delicious Smoothies to try!
- Sunrise Detox Smoothie - gotta get that beach bod ready!
- Lemonade Crush Smoothie - just like Chik fil A frosted lemonade.
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie - think Orange Julius!
- PB & J Smoothie - taste like your favorite sandwich.
- Raspberry Cream Smoothie - refreshing.
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie - Elvis would be proud!
Did you make this Best Green Smoothie Ever recipe? Let me know how it turned out by ★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leave a comment below!!
Best Green Smoothie Ever
- high speed blender
- 2 cups spinach can also use kale, swiss chard, beet greens
- 1 frozen banana (can substitute 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower to lower sugar content)
- ½ avocado
- 5 drops Sweet Drops Vanilla Creme
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter powder
- 1 cup water
- Place the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
- Place the ingredients, expect water and stevia, into individual freezer bags. When you're ready just grab a bag from the freezer, throw everything into a blender and you'll have your smoothie ready in less than 5 minutes!
- Nut butter can be substituted for peanut butter powder. Add 2-4 tablespoons of any nut butter of your choice.
- For a super creamy smoothie, keep bananas, spinach and avocado in the freezer until ready to blend.
- If you are concerned about sugar content, substitute the frozen banana with frozen riced cauliflower. You will not be able to taste it once everything is blended!
- If you do not freeze the greens, blend them with the water first to make sure they are nice and smooth before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Sweeten with stevia, maple syrup, agave or honey.
- If your ingredients are not frozen, you can substitute ice instead of water to get a cold creamy smoothie.
This post was originally posted in May 2016 and updated in June 2019 to include tips and tricks and an updated recipe card.