Hey ya’ll! I am so happy right now. 🙂 Why? … Because the weather is warming up and it’s time to start making light, fresh dishes with lots of fruit and veggies. I’m welcoming in spring with a flavorful, lighter Orzo Pasta Salad with fresh dill and feta. This pasta is literally bursting with fresh flavors!
orzo pasta salad
Vine ripened cherry tomatoes in red and yellow make this salad so amazing! They are so juicy and flavorful. I love tomatoes and I always try to get one in every bite.
And the vine ripened tomatoes along with a little feta? … Perfection!
Feta is a great choice for salads because it has a very strong, salty flavor. I used reduced fat feta to keep it on the lighter side but use full fat if you like. Because feta has such a strong flavor, there’s no need to add a lot of salt. This makes it a great recipe if you are trying to watch your sodium intake. Think of this cheese as more of a “seasoning”… just a sprinkle will do.
Dill … oh my goodness … fresh dill is so fragrant! This herb is very light and delicate and has a very distinct taste. It has a mild flavor that goes great with just about any kind of seafood. This recipe also has chopped cucumbers and red onion which adds even more flavor to this delicious orzo pasta salad.
This recipe makes A LOT of pasta which is great because you can store it in the fridge and eat it over the course of a few days. That means less cooking and cleaning … something that’s always appealing to me. 🙂
If you like fresh, vine ripened tomatoes … you are going to LOVE this Orzo Pasta Salad!
- orzo pasta
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. reduced fat feta cheese
- Boil the orzo until it is “al dente”. You don’t want it to be mushy. I cooked mine for about 8 minutes.
- Drain the orzo in a colander and run cold water over it until it has cooled down.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the feta cheese.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for one hour before serving.
- Top with crumbled feta before serving.