The BEST creamy coleslaw is quick and easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. The perfect side dish for BBQs, parties, potlucks or part of an easy weeknight meal.
You won't believe how amazing this low carb and keto friendly coleslaw tastes!
Coleslaw is a must-make summer salad. It's light, cool and super simple to throw together. Just like deviled eggs or tomato basil bruschetta, it always seems to make an appearance at summer cookouts, birthday parties and gatherings.
We kept the sugar low in this recipe so that you can enjoy all the sweet creamy goodness of coleslaw without the guilt. So gather your ingredients and let's make some coleslaw!
What ingredients are in creamy coleslaw?
The ingredients in this recipe are easy to find in just about any grocery store. Let's go over each one and substitutes.
- coleslaw mix: Prepackaged shredded cabbage mix comes in 14 oz. packages in the produce section. It will typically contain a mix of shredded green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots. Alternatively, you can thinly slice a small head of cabbage and one carrot.
- green onions: Green onions offer a mild onion flavor. If you like a stronger onion taste use diced red onions instead.
- mayonnaise: I prefer to use homemade mayonnaise but your favorite can be used. Look for mayo that doesn't contain added sugar.
- vinegar: Apple cider vinegar, red wine, white vinegar, totally your choice!
- coconut sugar: This ingredient is totally optional. It only adds about 1 carb per serving which is included in the nutritional information of the recipe card below. I don't mind the extra carb because I crave the sweetness that traditional creamy coleslaw has. (Update: I just discovered monk fruit. It's a great tasting, natural, no carb sugar substitute.)
- salt and pepper: See our tips for success section on when to add salt if you're making the coleslaw ahead of time.
How do you make it?
To make creamy coleslaw from scratch, place the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined. Chop the green onions and thinly slice the cabbage and carrots, if not using the prepackaged mix.
Add the chopped green onions and cabbage mix to the bowl with the dressing. Use a spatula to toss the ingredients until the veggies are fully coated.
The coleslaw can be enjoyed right away but it does taste better after chilling in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Tips for success
Coleslaw can be made up to 3 days in advance of when you plan to serve it. If you want to make it ahead of time, it's a good idea to leave the salt out until you are ready to serve it.
Salt helps draw water out of veggies so you will have a more watery coleslaw if you mix into the initial mix. Another option is to omit the salt and allow everyone to season their own serving to taste.
More easy side dishes
Make sure to go over and check out our recipe for low carb broccoli salad and greek cauliflower rice. They are super easy to make and full of flavor!
Low Carb Creamy Coleslaw
- 14 oz. coleslaw see notes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 green onions
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or use monk fruit to reduce 1 carb per serving
- Place the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined. Chop the green onions and thinly slice the cabbage and carrots, if not using the prepackaged mix.
- Add the chopped green onions and cabbage mix to the bowl with the dressing. Use a spatula to toss the ingredients until the veggies are fully coated.
- The coleslaw can be enjoyed right away but tastes better after chilling in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Can be stored covered, in the fridge, for 3-4 days.
- A prepackaged coleslaw mix can be replaced with a thinly sliced, small head of cabbage and one shredded carrot.
- If making in advance, omit the salt in the initial mix and add it before serving to prevent the coleslaw from becoming watery as it sits in the fridge.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!