This homemade mayonnaise recipe is so easy to make from scratch in less than 5 minutes. All you need are a few ingredients and an immersion blender for a smooth and creamy mayo.
Homemade mayonnaise is so extra rich and creamy.
The ingredients in homemade mayonnaise are so simple. More than likely you have everything you need!
- oil - Canola oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil or extra light tasting olive oil all have a neutral flavor. (Do not use extra virgin olive oil.)
- egg - Use a room temperature, pasteurized egg.
- fine sea salt
- vinegar - White wine vinegar, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar are all good choices.
- mustard - Dijon or yellow mustard work well.
- lemon juice - Use either fresh or bottled lemon juice.
Step by step instructions
The easiest way to make homemade mayonnaise is by using an immersion blender and a wide mouth mason jar.
Start out by placing the avocado oil, egg, vinegar, dijon mustard, sea salt and lemon juice into a pint-sized, wide mouth mason jar.
Stick the immersion blender into the jar all the way to the bottom.
Blend for about 10-20 seconds and slowly lift the blender up and down until everything is blended and the mixture has become thick and emulsified.
That's all you need to do to make homemade mayonnaise!
How to store
Once you have finished blending cover the jar with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Mayonnaise does not freeze well.
Tips for success
- Room temperature ingredients blend best.
- A wide mouth, pint size mason jar is the perfect size for blending mayonnaise. If you use a wider container, the ingredients won't be able to emulsify as well.
- This recipe does not work well in a blender or food processor.
Try this mayo with:
Rate this recipe!
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Place ingredients into a wide mouth mason jar.
- Stick the immersion blender into the jar all the way to the bottom. Blend for about 10-20 seconds and then slowly lift the blender up and down until everything is blended and the mixture has become thick and emulsified. (About 1 minute)
- Cover with lid and store in the refrigerator until ready to use, up to 3 days.
This recipe is from Amy in the Kitchen. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.