“This is the Best Banana Cake I’ve ever tasted! There’s nothing like a moist banana cake recipe from scratch with cream cheese frosting!”
You guys … I’m so in the mood for this banana cake! It’s hard for me to say no to pretty much any dessert made with bananas … and this one is no exception.
A slice of this with some coffee?? It really is the best banana cake in the world!
This banana cake is baked low and slow at 275 degrees to help the cake retain it’s flavor and to keep it really moist! Once it’s baked, to keep even more moisture locked in, place it in the freezer to cool for about 45 minutes. When you remove it, make sure it’s completely cooled before adding the cream cheese frosting.
I have no idea why this method works to keep it moist … but it does. Although it’s completely optional!
I baked my banana cake in a 9″ x 13″ pan but you can also make this a banana bundt cake. If you choose to make a bundt cake, I would bake it at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Just make sure a toothpick inserted into the center is free from batter when you pull it out. You’ll probably see a few moist crumbs … but that’s what you want!
This really is the best banana cake in the world!
This banana cake is made with sour cream in the batter. It really helps to give this cake lots of moisture too!
Try it with this delicious cream cheese frosting recipe. It’s perfect for this banana cake and other recipes like carrot cake!
The addition of homemade whipped cream makes it extra special!
Best Banana Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees, then grease and line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork and mix in the juice of one lemon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla paste and one egg and beat until incorporated.
- Add the second egg and continue to beat until well combined.
- Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and add to the wet ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the mashed bananas.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes. The top should be golden brown. Moist crumbs should cling to a toothpick inserted into the center when it's done.
- Once baked, place a towel in the freezer and put the banana cake on top for 45 minutes. Remove and then let cool completely before frosting.