Are you looking for the perfect banana bread recipe that is super-moist and full of banana flavor? This is it!
All you need are a few simple ingredients and less than ten minutes to get this mouthwatering bread in the oven.
Banana bread is the first thing that comes to mind when I have over-ripened bananas. Well I do think about banana cream pie cheesecake, but let's get back to the bread.
Banana bread can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a dessert or a snack. This recipe creates a quick bread that's sweet, moist and full of flavor. Just perfect for overripe bananas!
The ingredients needed to make banana bread are so simple and you probably have them in your pantry right now!
Step by step instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a bread pan. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and spices until thoroughly combined.
2. Melt the butter in a large bowl, add the bananas and mash until good and mushy. Add the sugar, vanilla, sour cream and egg and mix until the wet ingredients are well incorporated with each other.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the mixture into the bread pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Homemade butter is my favorite topping but the list of things to spread on banana bread slices is endless!
How to store
To store leftovers, wrap tightly in foil and keep at room temperature for up to 4 days. Don't store in the refrigerator.
If you'd like to freeze some banana bread for a later date, let the bread cool completely after baking. Wrap it in plastic wrap and two layers of foil.
Banana bread can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to eat it, take it out of the freezer a day in advance and place the loaf on the counter to thaw.
How to ripen bananas in the oven
Don't have ripe bananas? No worries! It's easy to ripen bananas in your oven!
Preheat your oven to 300°F and place the unpeeled bananas onto a baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes. (steps 1 and 2)
They will turn a dark almost black color so don't be alarmed.
Remove them and allow them to cool before mashing them! (step 3)
Did you make this Easy Banana Bread recipe? Let me know how it turned out by ★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leaving a comment below!!
Easy Banana Bread
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a loaf pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mash the bananas with a fork and then add the sugar, egg, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla extract and stir until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check the bread at 50 minutes then continue to bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and transfer the bread to a cooling rack.
- Store banana bread in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Once completely cooled, wrap in a layer of plastic wrap and two layers of foil. Label and date the bread before putting in the freezer.
- Ripen bananas in the oven by baking them at 300°F on a baking sheet for 30 minutes. Let cool before handling.
This post was originally posted in Oct 2016 and updated in March 2020 with new photos, process shots and expert tips and tricks.