Savory Sweet Potato Casserole is made with roasted sweet potatoes, fresh rosemary, panko bread crumbs and marshmallows for a savory twist on this classic holiday side dish!
There is just something about the combination of sweet potatoes and rosemary that screams holidays!
This Thanksgiving casserole is made with sweet potatoes that have been roasted in olive oil, fresh rosemary and salt and then topped with a marshmallow and Panko crumb topping.
The end result is a sweet and savory, smooth and crunchy, sweet potato casserole so delicious, everyone will be begging for seconds!
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients with Substitutions
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – A combination of sweet potatoes roasted in olive oil, salt and rosemary.
- Panko Bread Crumbs/Graham Crakers – These ingredients provide a crunchy texture to the topping.
- Rosemary – Use fresh rosemary for the best flavor. The rosemary can be omitted if desired.
- Half n Half – Substitute with milk or heavy cream.
- Light Brown Sugar – Substitute with granulated white sugar.
- Marshmallows – Add to the sweetness of the casserole.
- Butter – Used in the crumb topping.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Toss diced sweet potatoes in olive oil, rosemary and salt. Roast in a 425° oven for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the topping. Combine the rosemary, butter, panko crumbs, graham crackers and light brown sugar in a bowl. Use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the mixture.
- Assemble the casserole. Remove the roasted sweet potatoes from the oven and mash them with brown sugar, cinnamon and half and half.
- Spread evenly into an 8″ x 8″ baking dish and top with marshmallows and the crumb topping.
- Bake the sweet potato casserole at 350° for 30 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and the topping is melted and golden brown.
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Other recipes you might like!
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to rate it in the comment section below!
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons half and half milk or heavy cream can be substituted
- 4 tablespoons butter cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup honey graham crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 425°. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon of minced rosemary and salt. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Turn oven down to 350.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a hand masher or fork until almost smooth, leaving it a little chunky. Add the light brown sugar, cinnamon and half and half. Gently stir to combine the ingredients. Spread evenly into an 8" x 8" baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon minced rosemary, butter cubes, panko bread crumbs, graham crackers and light brown sugar. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the mixture until is well incorporated.
- Top with marshmallows and crumb topping and bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Can be assembled one day in advance, stored in fridge and baked when ready to serve.
- Rosemary can be omitted if desired.
Originally posted in November 2014 and updated in November 2019 with updated recipe instructions.