Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
Making delicious sugar cookie cutouts is easy with this amazing recipe. They don't spread when baking and the vanilla flavor is perfect!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar and butter on low speed for about 2 minutes. The mixture should be light and fluffy but be careful not to over-beat.
Add the eggs, one at a time and beat on low speed until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Add the vanilla extract and mix until everything is combined.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat on low speed for about 30-45 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then continue to beat until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Another 30-45 seconds.
Place half of the dough between two pieces of wax paper and roll out into desired thickness. I prefer ¼ inch thickness. Repeat with the other half.
Stack the sheets of rolled out dough on a baking sheet (do not remove wax paper) and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour or until the dough is hard to the touch.
Preheat your oven to 350°.
Cut your shapes out of the rolled out dough, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes. You want them to be very light golden brown around the edges. Do not over-bake!
Remove the cookies from the oven and leave them on the baking sheet to cool down completely before decorating.
- Use a rolling pin with guides to help get the perfect 1/4" thickness.
- Chill for at least one hour before cutting out shapes.
- Don't over-bake. The cookies will be a very light golden brown color on the bottom of the cookie.
- Store in a container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Sugar: 12g