Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole with rosemary for a sweet and savory twist on this classic holiday side dish!
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons half and half milk or heavy cream can be substituted
- 4 tablespoons butter cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup honey graham crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
Preheat oven to 425°. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon of minced rosemary and salt. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the sweet potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Turn oven down to 350.
Mash the sweet potatoes with a hand masher or fork until almost smooth, leaving it a little chunky. Add the light brown sugar, cinnamon and half and half. Gently stir to combine the ingredients. Spread evenly into an 8" x 8" baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon minced rosemary, butter cubes, panko bread crumbs, graham crackers and light brown sugar. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the mixture until is well incorporated.
Top with marshmallows and crumb topping and bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Can be assembled one day in advance, stored in fridge and baked when ready to serve.
- Rosemary can be omitted if desired.
Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 508mg | Potassium: 703mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 26970IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 2mg