Royal Icing Recipe
An easy royal icing recipe that can be used to decorate cookies, cakes and gingerbread houses.
- 2 lbs confectioners sugar
- 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup room temperature water
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon glycerin optional
Wipe down the bowl of a stand mixer, the paddle attachment and any spatulas you will be using with white vinegar. (This is to remove any grease from the surfaces of the utensils that will come into contact with the royal icing.)
In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix the powdered sugar, salt and meringue powder on low speed to fully combine the dry ingredients.
In a measuring cup, stir together the water, glycerin and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl and beat on low speed until the wet and dry ingredients start to come together.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat on medium speed for about 3 to 5 minutes. (The mixture should be thick and bright white.)
Transfer the royal icing to an airtight container, preferably a glass container. Store in the refrigerator or on the counter at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. (If separation occurs, stirring will help to bring it back together.)
- This recipe will decorate 4 dozen cookies.
- Store the royal icing in a glass container with a tight fitting lid, on the counter at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Some separation is normal, use a spatula to stir before using.
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 30kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.3g | Protein: 0.3g