Making delicious sugar cookie cutouts is easy with this amazing recipe!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar and butter on low speed for about 2 minutes. The mixture should be light and fluffy but be careful not to over-beat.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat on low speed until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until everything is combined.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat on low speed for about 30-45 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then continue to beat until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Another 30-45 seconds.
- Place half of the dough between two pieces of wax paper and roll out into desired thickness. I prefer ¼ inch thickness. Repeat with the other half.
- Stack the sheets of rolled out dough on a baking sheet (do not remove wax paper) and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour or until the dough is hard to the touch.
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Cut your shapes out of the rolled out dough, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes. You want them to be very light golden brown around the edges. Do not over-bake!
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave them on the baking sheet to cool down completely before decorating.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 12
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Protein: 2
Keywords: easy sugar cookies, sugar cookie cutouts, decorated cookies