Spicy Red Lentils with Mushrooms is a plant based meal that you can make in under 30 minutes with only a few ingredients! You’ll love how affordable and filling this meal is!
Why Lentils Make a Great Plant Based Meal Option:
- Lentils are very inexpensive. This recipe serves 6 people and cost just under $5 to make.
- They are a great source of dietary fiber. The recommended daily amount of fiber is 25-30 grams. One serving of these red lentils with mushrooms and rice has almost 9 grams of fiber, that’s almost one third of the recommended amount!
- Lentils are a great source of plant based protein. One serving has 10 grams.
- Meal Prepping is made easy with lentils. This recipe is so easy to make for lunch or dinner when meal prepping for the week. Just divide the lentils into 6 air-tight containers and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat!
- Lentils are great in soup. Try this recipe for Lentil Soup!
Lentils make a quick and delicious plant based meal.
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- In a heavy saucepan, saute the mushrooms in about 3 tablespoons of water for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, parsley and oregano, bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and cook for 5 minutes and serve over brown rice.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 240.5
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 406.3mg
- Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 42.7g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: plant based meal, quick healthy dinner