This is without a doubt, my absolute favorite southern style carrot cake! It’s easy to make, super moist and is topped with a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting. It’s truly the BEST CARROT CAKE you’ll ever make!
Who doesn’t like a good old fashioned, southern style carrot cake? … Am I right? It’s such a wonderful dessert that is perfect to serve during the holidays … or any special occasion.
I can’t remember an Easter celebration that didn’t include a slice of perfectly moist carrot cake! It’s the kind of cake you want to make for your family and friends because you know they will enjoy every single bite. It’s a dessert that’s made from the heart.
This carrot cake consists of three moist layers, but you can easily split the batter into two layers if you don’t have three cake pans. In between the layers is a lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting and a sprinkling of chopped pecans.
Don’t be alarmed when you see that this recipe calls for 4 teaspoons of cinnamon. I’ve had a few people question that measurement and I can assure you that it is correct. All of that cinnamon makes this one of the best carrot cakes you’ll ever taste. I promise … you will love it!
a carrot cake recipe to pass down for generations
This moist, delicious southern style carrot cake is made from scratch and it’s loaded with the good stuff … sweet carrots, warm spicy cinnamon, and a whole lot of love! It is adapted from a cookbook that a friend created as a gift for her daughters. She was thoughtful enough to take her favorite family recipes and craft a beautiful cookbook so that her children would never have to worry about losing them. Isn’t that a great idea?
This is the best carrot cake ever! It’s loaded with cinnamon and is topped with a cream cheese frosting, of course. It’s the perfect holiday dessert!
- 2.5 cups (300 g) all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups (340 g) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (284 ml) canola oil
- 3 cups (150 g) grated carrots
- 1/2 cup (75 g) raisins
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9″ cake pans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and canola oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir them together using a spatula until combined. Stir in the carrots and raisins.
- Pour into the three 9″ cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- Place a cake layer onto a serving platter or cake stand and spread a layer of cream cheese on top. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and continue with the next layer.
- Frost the outside of the carrot cake and sprinkle the top with chopped nuts and raisins for decoration.
- If you only have two cake pans, split the batter in half between them.
- The nuts and raisins are optional. Please feel free to omit them if you do not like these ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 783
Keywords: cake for holiday party, cake for special occasion