Nutritional values have been calculated using an online nutrition calculator. Please note that the values may not be completely accurate.
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 7 cups water (depending on how thick you like it)
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (ORGANIC taste much better)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T pumpkin pie spice or 1 T cinnamon
- 1 T vanilla extract
- peanut butter powder, brown sugar, chopped pecans, raisins, chopped dates for topping (optional)
- Combine steel cut oats, water, pumpkin and salt in a slow cooker and stir until it’s fully combined and there are no lumps of pumpkin.
- Cook on warm for 7-8 hours and then turn the slow cooker on the low setting and stir.
- When it is finished cooking add the pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract.
- Let the oatmeal cook for about 15-30 more minutes to thicken it up if needed.
- Stir once more and then serve warm with brown sugar and chopped pecans.
UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS! I have found that adding the pumpkin pie spice and vanilla after it has cooked gives it a much better flavor. Instead of using pumpkin pie spice, most of the time I use a tablespoon of ground cinnamon in it’s place. Also, I started using organic pumpkin and it makes such a huge difference. It tastes so much better!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 201.2
- Sugar: 4.1
- Sodium: 27.3
- Fat: 3.1
- Saturated Fat: .1
- Carbohydrates: 34.5
- Fiber: 5.9
- Protein: 8.4
- Cholesterol: 1.3