Quinoa and Kale Protein Bowl
Quinoa … a food that I can’t get enough of. I know there’s been a lot of quinoa bowl recipes on the internet over the past few years but I gotta say … quinoa is just so good!
And so good for you too!
There are so many ways to prepare quinoa. I’ve seen it in breakfast recipes, lunch recipes … I’ve even seen it as an ingredient for desserts! Who knew?
Did you know that quinoa is actually a seed? It comes from a plant called “goosefoot” that is harvested primarily for it’s seed … quinoa.
Quinoa is loaded with high quality protein, fat and carbs. It is also high in fiber, manganese, copper, folate, phosphorus and other minerals. To top it all off, recent studies show that quinoa contains a high quantity of anti-inflammatory phyto-nutrient compounds as well.
When you combine quinoa with other healthy ingredients like kale and beans, you get a protein packed, nutrient powerhouse of a meal. This is an ingredient that definitely fits into a healthy diet!
Meal Prep: Make a double batch of this recipe and you’ll have something to grab for lunch or dinner during the week. It taste great served warm or cold. Just divide it into a few air-tight plastic containers and place in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy!
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Saute the garlic and red pepper in the olive oil over med-high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the kale and continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the quinoa, beans, roasted red pepper and seasonings and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Taste great served warm or cold.