Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are moist and decadent with a luscious swirl of sweetened cream cheese on top!
You’d never know they were made with a cake box mix!
If you’re looking for a super easy to make pumpkin recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or dessert, then you really need to try these pumpkin cream cheese muffins!
They are so moist and the cream cheese swirl makes them extra yummy, just like Starbucks pumpkin cream cheese muffins!
Throw a cup of chocolate chips into the batter and you’ll have yourself some chocolate chip pumpkin muffins that are out of this world!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin Ingredients
- yellow box cake mix – You will only use the dry mix, do not combine other ingredients called for on the box.
- 1 can of pumpkin puree (15 oz.) – Make sure to get canned pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling which has sugar and spices already added.
- 1 egg – The muffin batter calls for 1 large whole egg.
- pumpkin pie spice -Pumpkin pie spice is a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and cloves.
- cream cheese – I recommend full-fat cream cheese, but reduced or fat-free cream cheese can be used.
- egg yolk – The cream cheese topping contains 1 egg yolk.
- sugar – Use white granulated sugar for the topping to keep it a light color. Powdered sugar would work as well.
- vanilla extract – Either pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla extract will work in this recipe.
How to Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl combine the cake mix, pumpkin puree, egg, water and pumpkin pie spice together and fill the muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Beat the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Use a spoon to drop 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on top of each muffin.
- Create swirls in the cream cheese mixture by using a toothpick to swirl it around.
- Bake the pumpkin muffins for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you store pumpkin cream cheese muffins? Store the muffins covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze pumpkin cream cheese muffins? Freeze the pumpkin muffins for up to 2 months wrapped tightly in plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn. Let thaw in fridge overnight before serving.
Other recipes you might like to try!
- Pumpkin Pie Crumble Bars
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Monkey Bread
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it turned out by ★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leave a comment below!!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Muffin baking tin
- electric hand mixer
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree 1 can
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips optional
Cream Cheese Swirl:
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with liners.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, mix the cake mix, pumpkin, egg, pumpkin pie spice and water until fully combined. Fill muffin liners until 3/4 full.
- Drop a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture onto the center of each muffin and use a toothpick to create a swirl on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Optional - Add 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips to the pumpkin muffin batter to make chocolate chip pumpkin muffins.
- Store the muffins covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze the pumpkin muffins for up to 2 months wrapped tightly in plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn. Let thaw in fridge overnight before serving.