Juicy, tender, Mexican Shredded Chicken is quick and easy to make in your Instant Pot. Just dump everything in and dinner is ready in 30 minutes. Making chicken tacos or chicken taco salads has never been so tasty or this easy!
Quick weeknight meals have never been better thanks to the good ole pressure cooker. Instant Pot chicken dinners can be made in a fraction of the time it would normally take.
This Instant Pot chicken recipe delivers everything you'd want. It's quick, it can be used to make a variety of chicken recipes and it's loaded with bold Mexican flavor. Make a double batch and freeze leftovers for even quicker meals during the week.
Use this shredded chicken to make Instant Pot chicken tacos, burritos, salads, nachos or even pizza! Whip up a batch of Instant Pot quinoa, top it with this Mexican shredded chicken and the best guacamole for a healthy lunch meal prep. I'm thinking happy Cinco de Mayo too!
Tips and tricks for the perfect Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Cut the chicken breasts into large chunks to help it cook more evenly and become even more tender. This will also help to prevent the chicken from being rubbery.
- For a less spicy chicken, leave the chipotle peppers whole so that you can remove them after cooking. Dice them before cooking if you want a spicier chicken.
- Before placing the lid on the pressure cooker, make sure that the plastic ring is seated snuggly into place. This will ensure a good seal between the lid and the pot.
- Once the chicken has cooked, transfer the meat to a separate bowl and use forks to shred the chicken. You can transfer it back to the liner and stir it back in with the juices OR you can thicken the leftover juices with a corn starch slurry for a thick gravy.
- Want to save even more time during the week? Place the ingredients into a freezer-safe container for a delicious dump and go Instant Pot recipe! If cooking from frozen, adjust cooking time to 25 minutes.
More Instant Pot recipes
Pressure cookers make dinner so easy to get on the table! Check out some of our favorites!
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup - The perfect recipe for meatless Mondays. You can use leftovers for taco Tuesdays. (Along with this Mexican shredded chicken, Yay!)
- Instant Pot Beef Stew - So rich and flavorful. It's a family favorite in our kitchen!
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup - All the comforting, yummy flavors of stuffed cabbage rolls, without all the work!
Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
Rate this recipe!
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into large pieces)
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- juice of 1 lime
- Place all of the ingredients into the liner of the Instant Pot and stir to coat the chicken evenly. Lock the lid in place and make sure that the vent is in the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer for 15 minutes at HIGH pressure. (The Instant Pot will take roughly 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the timer begins.)
- Once the cooking time is up, release the pressure immediately. Remove the lid and transfer the chicken to a bowl or a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken. The remaining juices in the Instant Pot can be stirred back into the chicken meat to keep it moist.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. Reheat leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave.
This recipe is from Amy in the Kitchen. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.