Let’s face it, we are all looking for ways to make our lives easier. That’s one of the reasons most people include so many processed foods in their diet. We all know processed foods are not the best fuel for our bodies, but sometimes they come in so handy, it’s hard to say no. Making the decision to prep a week of meals on Sundays has been a real life saver for me. It makes it easier to stay on track and saves me so much time and energy throughout the week which has proven to be invaluable. Today is Meal Prep Monday and I’ve got a simple, tasty snack for you to prep for your lunchbox. Hummus Stuffed Mini Peppers.
The goal for prepping snacks is to keep it healthy but also delicious so that we actually enjoy eating them. Remember, I don’t count calories. I just follow a few rules that help me eat intuitively. I’ve managed to lose 15 lbs. this year and keep it off without counting every single calorie I put in my mouth.
Here are the 5 main rules that I follow;
- Reduce the amount of meat, dairy and eggs you eat. There is a large amount of saturated fat in animal products. I believe this is what stops a lot of people reaching their goal weight. This is my most important rule for keeping a healthy weight and healthy heart.
- Follow the 80% rule. Eat until you’re 80% full.
- Drink lots and lots of water and eliminate sodas.
- Eat whole foods 80 % of the time and eliminate as many processed foods as possible. Aim for 100% whole foods but let’s be realistic, that’s easier said than done. (One of the reasons I use pre-made hummus in this recipe)
- Keep sodium intake low. Season food with salt AFTER cooking.
As you can see, the rules are pretty simple and straight forward. Anyone can follow these, you just have to put your mind to it. And of course, meal prep!
Hummus stuffed mini peppers are healthy and super easy to put together. First, cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Wash and dry them thoroughly inside and out. Drying them is very important if you want them to stay fresh in the fridge for a few days. Take a scoop of your favorite hummus and fill a pepper half way. I decided to stuff a baby carrot into the center of my peppers to take up some space. That way I get more veggies and just enough hummus to satisfy my craving. Throw a few extra peppers and carrots into your storage container and you’ll have a healthy snack ready when you are!
Eating a healthy diet can be easy if you plan properly!Print
- 1 bag sweet mini bell peppers
- 1 container hummus
- 1 bag baby carrots
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and stems
- Wash and dry the peppers thoroughly inside and out
- Fill the peppers half way with hummus
- Place a carrot in the center of the pepper
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat