“This Hot and Sour Soup tastes just like the one from my local restaurant!”
One of my favorite soups to order when I eat out is Hot and Sour Soup. I love vinegar and I love spicy food and this soup gives me both. It’s especially good in the winter when it’s so cold outside.
I was feeling run down a few days ago so I made this to help me get through the day. It totally hit the spot!
I made a big pot of the soup, curled up on my couch with my hubby and my mini while I pinned and watched TV for hours. It was one of those days that I needed to refuel and do absolutely nothing.
You know what I’m talking about, a nice break from the daily grind. It really helped me feel better. (I even got a nice back rub….thanks Mikey!)
This soup is so quick and easy to put together. It only takes about 10 minutes of prep time and about 10 minutes of simmering. Of course, you don’t have to be run down or feeling bad in order to enjoy Hot and Sour Soup.
It’s delicious anytime!Print
- 6 cups beef or chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced (shitake mushrooms give it a richer, more authentic flavor)
- 1/4 cup lite sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 6 oz. firm tofu, sliced into strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Bring the broth to a simmer over medium high heat in a large saucepan
- Add the mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and white pepper
- Continue to simmer for 5 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine the corn starch and cold water
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and stir well
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the soup starts to thicken
- Pour the beaten egg into the soup while gently stirring
- Add the tofu and green onions, stir and remove from heat
- Serve hot