This restaurant-style Hot and Sour Soup recipe is simply amazing! Only 10 ingredients are needed and you can have it ready in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a quick, week night dinner that you know everyone will love!
One of my favorite soups to order when I go out to eat is Hot and Sour Soup. I have this “thing” for all things sour and ALL things spicy, which makes this soup a home-run! If you want the soup spicier, add a little more sriracha. If you like it more on the sour side, add more vinegar. It’s totally up to you!
I know a lot of people don’t like tofu, so if that’s you … just omit it, no big deal. You can leave out the protein all together or substitute it with any type of meat you’d like. Just make sure to cook the meat thoroughly before adding it to the soup.
I used white mushrooms for this recipe because that’s what my local grocery store had on hand but, shiitake mushrooms will give it a more authentic flavor if you can get your hands on some.
Try out this twist on Vegetable Egg Drop Soup for another easy weeknight dinner recipe, it’s similar to Hot and Sour Soup, with some extra veggies snuck in!Print
Hot and Sour Soup is the perfect for a quick, week night dinner that you know everyone will love!
- 6 cups beef or chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced (shitake mushrooms give it a richer, more authentic flavor)
- 1/4 cup lite sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 6 oz. firm tofu, sliced into strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Bring the broth to a simmer over medium high heat in a large saucepan
- Add the mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha sauce and white pepper
- Continue to simmer for 5 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine the corn starch and cold water
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and stir well
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the soup starts to thicken
- Pour the beaten egg into the soup while gently stirring
- Add the tofu and green onions, stir and remove from heat
- Serve hot
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 129
Keywords: quick easy soup, soup in less than 30 minutes
This post was originally published in 2015 and updated in May 2018.