When it comes to sweet whipped cream, nothing beats homemade. The taste of lightly sweetened whipping cream is the ultimate topping for just about any dessert.
Have you ever wondered how to make homemade whipped cream?
There are only three basic ingredients that make up this whipped cream recipe. Heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. I prefer to use vanilla paste because I think the little flecks of vanilla bean give the whipped cream a fancier look. I was able to find vanilla paste in the baking section at my local Walmart.
I have many recipes that use homemade whipped cream including the BEST Ever Vanilla Bean Cheesecake. Check it out!
See how light and creamy it looks? Fresh, homemade whipped cream just can’t be beat by any store brand.
Whipping Cream vs Heavy Cream
Have you ever wondered what the difference between whipping cream and heavy cream is? They are basically the same thing except heavy cream contains a bit more fat. Heavy cream will whip up a little more stiff and hold it’s shape better than whipping cream. So if you are using it to decorate a cake or cupcakes I would use heavy cream. If you are using the cream to add a dollop to a slice of pie or some ice cream, whipping cream will work great!
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Place a metal bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Remove the bowl and pour in the heavy whipping cream.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cream for about a minute. The cream should start to thicken.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until it forms stiff peaks. About 3 minutes.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to use.