Simple Homemade Tomato Soup – Easy to make with just a few ingredients. Rich and creamy, goes perfect with grilled cheese sandwiches!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 28 ounce can whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white rice (uncooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Melt the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onions and saute for 10 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add the garlic, basil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and cinnamon and cook for an additional minute. Carefully add the tomatoes and chicken stock, stir, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the baking soda and then use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- A regular blender can be used to puree the soup if you do not have an immersion blender.
Keywords: easy tomato soup recipe, tomato soup recipe, gluten-free tomato soup recipe