Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs because it tastes good on so many things. You can use it with meats, vegetables, beans and even fruit. Rosemary is especially tasty with chicken so I made a recipe for Healthy Rosemary Chicken that’s low in fat and calories to satisfy my craving for it.
What makes this recipe healthier is that it only needs one half of a tablespoon of olive oil and almost all of the fat is trimmed from the chicken breast before cooking.
By using big bold flavors like rosemary and garlic, you’ll never miss it. It’s so delicious, especially with a side of the orange balsamic glazed carrots. The sweetness of the carrots tastes so good with the rosemary.
The chicken breasts are browned in a pan with the olive oil, rosemary and garlic. I used a brush to coat the bottom of the pan with just enough oil for the chicken not to stick so, you may not need to use as much olive oil as the recipe calls for if you have a really good non-stick pan.
Then they are baked for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. In the meantime to speed up the cooking process of the baby carrots, boil them for about 5 minutes, drain and put them to the side. Once you remove the pan from the oven, transfer the chicken breasts to a plate to rest while you are finishing up the carrots. You will use freshly squeezed orange juice and balsamic vinegar to de-glaze the pan and then toss the carrots in the glaze to coat them. Cook until they reach your desired tenderness.
That’s all you need to do to have a nutritious and delicious meal prepared in less than about 45 minutes.
Weight Watchers | 4 SmartPointsPrint
If you use an 8 oz. portion of chicken, the SmartPoints = 7
- 4 (4 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trim excess fat
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 baby carrots
- the juice of 1 large orange
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat an oven safe pan on your stove to a medium high heat. Brush the olive oil evenly onto the bottom of the pan. Saute the rosemary and garlic for one minute.
- Place the chicken breasts face down in the pan and cook until that side is golden brown. About 5-7 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breasts over and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, place chicken breasts on a plate and let them rest while you are preparing the carrots. This will help to keep them juicy.
- Boil carrots for 5 minutes and drain in a colander.
- Squeeze the juice of one orange and the balsamic vinegar into the pan to de-glaze.
- Add the carrots and toss to coat with the glaze.
- Cook until desired tenderness.
- Add a squeeze of honey if desired. (optional)