An easy pie crust recipe that gives you a tender, flaky pie crust every time! This recipe makes 2, 9- inch pie crusts.
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup ice water minus 2 teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (see notes in recipe for water/vinegar mixture)
- Prepare the water/vinegar mixture. Drop an ice-cube into a measuring cup. Add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar. Fill the measuring cup up with water to the 1/2 cup mark. Set aside to chill.
- Mix Flour and Butter. Toss the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and then dump them out onto a clean work surface.Use a rolling pin to roll the butter into the flour mixture. Use a bench scraper to gather the flour and butter together and then cut the butter with the bench scraper into smaller pieces. Repeat this process a couple of times, until the butter is incorporated into the flour. Pick the mixture up using the bench scraper and place back into the bowl.
- Add Water. Pour the water mixture, a few tablespoons at a time, into the flour/butter mixture and use your hands to quickly bring the dough together. You don’t want the dough to be sticky or crumbly, so add water slowly to get the right texture. Do not over work the dough.
- Divide and Chill. Divide the dough in half and flatten into disks. Wrap the disks separately in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. (Skip to step 7 if you’d like to freeze the pie dough at this stage.)
- Form Pie Shell. To form the pie shell, take a disk from the refrigerator and let rest for 5 minutes at room temperature. Roll the dough out on a floured surface into a 14 inch round. Wrap the dough over the rolling pin, pick it up and carefully unroll it over a 9 inch pie plate. Gently fit the pie into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to trim a 1 inch overhang. Fold the edges under and press to seal.
- Blind Bake. Place a piece of parchment paper or coffee filter into the center of the pie crust. Fill the center with pie weights or dry beans to keep the dough from puffing up while baking. Chill for 30 minutes. Bake the crust at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and carefully lift out the paper and weights. Prick the bottom of the crust using a fork to prevent bubbles, return to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden all over.
- Freeze. To freeze the dough disk, wrap it in a few layers of plastic wrap and then put the wrapped dough into a freezer bag. To freeze pie shell, place the pie shell into the refrigerator to chill and set for 1 hour. Wrap tightly with a few layers of plastic wrap and place in freezer until ready to bake. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 3
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Protein: 2
Keywords: easy pie crust recipe, no-fail pie crust