Crab Meat Au Gratin is the best hot crab dip EVER! You will love this authentic Louisiana recipe. It’s an easy, seafood party appetizer!
- 1/2 stick butter, unsalted
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 5 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded (reserve 3 T for topping)
- 8 oz. of white crab meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- dash of paprika
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour and stir until combined and lightly browned.
- Add the onion and celery to the mixture and cook on low-medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the evaporated milk, egg yolk, cheese, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper, and stir continuously until the cheese has melted.
- Gently stir in the crab meat and cook on low heat for 5 minutes to heat through. Turn on broiler to High.
- Scoop the mixture into a small oven-safe baking dish and top with reserved Swiss cheese, green onion and paprika.
- Place the baking dish onto a cookie sheet and place under broiler for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and started to turn brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with crackers.
Tip: You can make this ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Cover it with aluminum foil and bake it at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes before topping it with the extra cheese and popping it under the broiler. Just make sure it’s heated through before serving!
- Calories: 276
Keywords: easy seafood appetizer, quick party food ideas