This savory Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe is a delicious and healthy side dish that’s ready in less than 30 minutes! It’s a sweet and savory addition that the whole family will love!
I love sweet potatoes! Most people I talk to say that they like them with butter, cinnamon and sugar … but I think they are sweet enough on their own. That’s why I created this simple recipe for a savory style mashed sweet potato!
They go great with these chipotle flavored meatballs seen below (recipe coming soon!) and they are also delicious smothered with seasoned black beans and guacamole. These sweet potatoes offer a little kick courtesy of chipotle chili powder.
How do you make chipotle mashed sweet potatoes?
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into about 1 to 2 inch pieces. Steam the sweet potatoes, covered, for about 15 minutes. If you don’t have a steamer basket, boil them in water for about 15 minutes or until they are soft enough to mash.
Place the softened sweet potatoes, butter, salt and chipotle chili powder in a large mixing bowl and use a hand masher to mash and mix everything together.
I suggest using the following seasoning measurements PER 1 medium sized sweet potato and then adjust seasonings according to taste:
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder and
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
This is just a good place to start! You can always add more if needed, but you can’t take it away!
This recipe is perfect for meal prepping as a side dish. It’s great reheated!
Other great Mexican inspired recipes you might like:
- Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Fiesta Black Bean Bowls
- Chipotle Meatballls
- Green Chili Corn Casserole
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Chipotle Sweet Mashed Potatoes are a delicious side dish that's ready in under 30 minutes. The chipotle chili powder gives a savory kick to this sweet side dish!
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh herbs, optional for garnish, parsley, cilantro or basil.
- Steam the sweet potato pieces, covered for 15 minutes. If you don't have a steamer basket, boil the sweet potatoes until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Place the steamed sweet potatoes, butter, chipotle chili powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Mash the ingredients together with a hand held potato masher or a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired before serving.