A delicious Blueberry Pie Recipe made with fresh blueberries! Not too sweet and perfectly spiced. Perfect for any occasion!
This blueberry pie recipe is so easy to make with our flaky, all-butter pie crust.
Here's what you need to make a blueberry pie from scratch.
- Pie crust: You can either use a homemade pie crust or a store-bought pie crust.
- Blueberries: I prefer to use fresh blueberries but you can use frozen blueberries as well. Let the berries thaw before mixing the pie filling.
- Sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg: White granulated sugar is used to lightly sweeten the pie. The spices are optional but highly recommended!
- Corn starch: Used to thicken the juices of the pie, but it can be substituted with flour, arrowroot powder or tapioca powder.
- Lemon juice: Adds a brightness and enhances the flavor of the blueberries.
- Butter: Small dots of butter enhances the flavor of the pie filling but can be omitted.
- Egg: A lightly beaten egg is used as an egg wash to give the crust a shiny golden finish.
How to make blueberry pie
- To make the pie filling, simply toss the blueberries in a bowl with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, corn starch and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Pour the filling into a 9" pie plate that has been lined with an unbaked pie crust. Spread it evenly and dot the top with cold butter cubes.
- Cover the filling with the second crust, trim and flute the edges. Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Place a pie shield on the pie, turn down the oven to 375°F and bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbly.
- Let cool for 3 hours before serving.
How do you know when a blueberry pie is done?
You'll know your pie is done when the crust is a beautiful golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remember to let the pie cool for a few hours in order to let the filling "set" before slicing.
If your pie has a runny consistency, it may not have been baked long enough. Make sure the filling is bubbly before removing from the oven.
If you are worried that the crust will over-brown, place a piece of tented foil on top of the crust once it has reached the desired color.
How long does blueberry pie last?
Store the pie in the fridge, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the pie for up to 3 months.
Make sure to wrap the completely cooled pie in several layers of plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
When you are ready to serve the pie, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge and serve at room temperature.
Other recipes you may like:
If you want to make blueberry pie filling that you can preserve in a water-bath canner, check out our canning recipe over at Little Spoon Farm!
Blueberry Pie Recipe
- homemade pie crust use one full recipe which makes 2 pie crusts
- 4 cups fresh blueberries stems removed and washed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg lightly beaten for egg wash
- Prepare the pie crust as directed and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425°F with a baking sheet on the middle rack. Roll the first pie crust to a 1/8" thickness and line a 9" pie plate.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix the lemon juice, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and nutmeg and toss in the blueberries. Pour the mixture into the pie plate.
- Roll out second pie crust and cut 1" strips. Lay over filling in a lattice pattern and dot with cubes of butter. Trim and flute the edges of the crust. Brush the crust with the egg wash.
- Bake the pie on the baking sheet for 20 minutes. Place a pie shield on the pie to protect the edges from over-browning and turn the oven down to 375°F. Bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let the blueberry pie cool for 3 hours before serving.
- This blueberry pie can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Baked blueberry pie can be frozen, after it has cooled completely, wrapped in plastic for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge before serving at room temperature.