This is the best guacamole recipe around, hands down! Learn how to make guacamole from scratch with fresh ingredients including avocado, lime juice, onion, garlic, tomatoes, jalapeños, salt and pepper.
It’s a healthy appetizer that is super easy to make!
There’s nothing like the fresh taste of authentic guacamole. Piled high onto tortilla chips for a snack or on top of chicken tacos, it elevates the flavor of any Mexican style dish.
This is a simple party dip recipe. Just the way guacamole should be.
- Avocados: The best guacamole starts with ripe avocados. Make sure to choose avocados that are firm but give just a touch when you press into the flesh. You want to avoid avocados that are soft and mushy.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice is crucial to getting the authentic flavor of guacamole. No skipping this ingredient.
- Onion: White, red or yellow onions all work well. Choose the onion you prefer!
- Garlic: A clove of garlic adds just the right amount of garlic flavor to the dip.
- Tomatoes: Choose ripe tomatoes. It’s best to remove the pulp and watery insides and just use the flesh.
- Jalapeños: If you don’t like a lot of heat, remove the seeds before chopping the pepper up.
- Salt and pepper: Salt and pepper bring all the flavors together for the perfect guacamole!
How to cut an avocado
Use a chef's knife to cut the avocado in half lengthwise and twist apart the two sides. One side will have the avocado pit still in it. To remove the pit gently tap it with the sharp end of the chef's knife so that the knife is embedded in the pit. Twist the handle of the knife to help dislodge the pit from the flesh. Be very careful with this step. It's best to hold the avocado in a towel or something that will protect your hands from the knife.
Make the best guacamole in 3 simple steps
How do you make guacamole? It's easy and the fresh taste can't be beat!
1. Prep veggies.
Mince the clove of garlic with a knife or a garlic press. Remove the pulp and watery insides of the tomato and dice the flesh.
Chop the onions into small pieces. Remove the seeds from the jalapeño pepper and dice. Chop the cilantro.
2. Mash avocado.
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and transfer to a mixing bowl.
Use a fork to mash the avocado into desired consistency. Keep it as chunky as you like!
3. Mix ingredients.
Mix the prepared veggies with the mashed avocado. Sprinkle with the juice of one lime, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
How to store and keep fresh
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. To keep the surface from turning brown you have a few options.
1. Squirt lemon or lime juice on top of the surface to prevent oxidation before placing the lid on the container.
2. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the top of the guacamole. When ready to eat, peel the plastic off and stir.
3. The Kitchn suggests pouring a thin layer of cold water over the top of the guacamole. Then secure the lid. When you are ready to eat, pour the water off and give the dip a stir before serving.
More Mexican inspired recipes
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Fiesta Black Bean Bowl
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
The Best Guacamole
Rate this recipe!
- 2 avocados (ripe)
- ¼ cup diced onion (white, red or yellow)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tomato (seeds and pulp removed, diced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and transfer to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocado into desired consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients with the mashed avocado and stir until fully combined.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
This recipe is from Amy in the Kitchen. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.