Get ready for the BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich EVER! Three types of cheese, sourdough bread and a butter/mayo spread make this the ultimate grilled cheese!
So what makes this the BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ever?
Bread. Let’s start with the bread. I’m using sourdough bread as the base for this sandwich because it’s thick and crusty, and can stand up to all that ooey, gooey cheese while they are melting in the frying pan. If you don’t make your own sourdough (which you should totally do), just grab a loaf at the store. If you can’t find a good artisan loaf, try any type of crusty bread you can get your hands on!
Butter/Mayo Spread. Next, the butter/mayo spread. Take equal parts of room temperature butter and a good quality mayonnaise and mix them together. This is what you will coat the outside of the bread slices with and what is going to give you that golden, crispy outside crust. You could use just butter or just mayo for this, but the combination of the two is what really makes the difference. The mayo adds a little bit of tang and you’ll get a less “greasy” bread on the outside!
Cheese. Three types of cheese are used for this grilled cheese sandwich. American Cheese, Gruyere Cheese and White Cheddar. Make sure you get the American Cheese from the deli (not the fake stuff). The combination of these cheeses melt together and give the most perfect flavor profile!
Cook low and slow. Make sure you cook the sandwiches on low to medium-low heat. You’ll want to cook each side for about 4-5 minutes, low and slow, in order to get that perfect golden crust and allow the cheeses to melt all the way through. Put a lid or something on to top of the sandwiches while they cook to help weight them down. I use a lid.
What’s the perfect grilled cheese sandwich without a piping hot bowl of homemade tomato soup? You’ve got to try my tomato soup recipe if you decide to make one of these bad boys! It’s super simple and I’ve got a few secret ingredients that make it the best tomato soup you’ll ever have too! Comfort food perfection!
Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Prepare the butter and mayo spread. In a small bowl, mix the butter and mayo together until smooth.
- Assemble sandwiches. Lay the bread slices onto a cutting board. Spread each slice of bread on one side with the butter/mayo mixture. Turn 4 of the slices over and evenly distribute the cheese mixture on top. Place the remaining bread slices on top of the cheese with the buttered side facing up.
- Cook sandwiches. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Place two sandwiches in the skillet and place a lid on top to help weight them down. Cook for 4-5 minutes, checking to make sure the bread is browning slowly and evenly. Flip over, press down with the lid and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet, repeat with remaining sandwiches and serve immediately.
- Use a heavy lid that is smaller than the skillet you are using.
- If you can't find sourdough bread, you can use any bread you have on hand!
- Serve with tomato soup for the perfect comfort meal.