Homemade mayonnaise only takes a few minutes to make and taste so much better than store-bought!
All you need are a few ingredients and an immersion blender for a smooth and creamy mayo!
Mayonnaise is one of those ingredients that we really don’t think about making from scratch. It’s so easy to just grab a jar at the store and go!
But if you ever check out the ingredients on the back of the container, you may reconsider.
I love to make anything I can from scratch, and homemade mayo is so easy! So if you ever find yourself needing some, you probably have all of the ingredients to make you own.
The ingredients in homemade mayonnaise are so simple.
- avocado oil
- fine sea salt
- white wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
- lemon juice
After testing out homemade mayo with different types of oil, I found that avocado oil has the most neutral flavor. Avocado oil can be a little on the pricey side, so if you want to save some money I would suggest trying Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.
Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil is NOT the same thing as Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Don’t get these confused! Extra virgin olive oil will produce a bitter and oily tasting mayo.
Step by step instructions
The easiest way to make homemade mayonnaise is by using an immersion blender and a wide mouth mason jar.
Start out by placing the avocado oil, egg, vinegar, dijon mustard, sea salt and lemon juice into a pint-sized, wide mouth mason jar. Stick the immersion blender into the jar all the way to the bottom.
Blend for about 10-20 seconds and slowly lift the blender up and down until everything is blended and the mixture has become thick and emulsified.
That’s all you need to do to make homemade mayonnaise!
How to store
Once you have finished blending cover the jar with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Mayonnaise does not freeze well.
Tips for success
- A wide mouth, pint size mason jar is the perfect size for blending mayonnaise. If you use a wider container, the ingredients won’t be able to emulsify as well.
- White wine vinegar can be substituted with white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- This recipe does not work well in a blender or food processor.
Make sure to pin this recipe for later!
Try this mayo with:
Did you make this Homemade Mayonnaise recipe? Let me know how it turned out by ★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leave a comment below!!
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon or stone ground mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Place ingredients into a wide mouth mason jar.
- Stick the immersion blender into the jar all the way to the bottom. Blend for about 10-20 seconds and slowly lift the blender up and down until everything is blended and the mixture has become thick and emulsified. This should only take about one minute to complete.
- Cover with lid and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will stay good for up to 3 days.