Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
If you’ve read any of my previous posts, you know I cook for a very big family everyday. Mornings are pretty hectic around our house, so having breakfast ready when I get up takes a lot off of my plate. I know it can be hard to get kids to eat their oatmeal but let me assure you, this recipe is delicious and it makes enough oatmeal for a couple of mornings worth of breakfast.
Simply combine steel cut oats, water, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, salt and pumpkin in your slow cooker and stir until it’s fully combined and there are no lumps of pumpkin. Put it on the warm setting before bed and let it cook overnight, about 7-8 hours. When you get up the mixture will still be a little “soupy” so change the setting to low and stir. Let the oatmeal cook for about 30 more minutes to thicken it up. Stir once more and then serve warm with brown sugar and chopped pecans. You can also add a things like raisins or chopped dates for a little more sweetness.
Cooked low and slow overnight, this power packed breakfast is sure to satisfy the pickiest of eaters. It’s a healthy, filling, yummy meal you can feel good about feeding your family!
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 7 cups water (depending on how thick you like it)
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree (ORGANIC taste much better)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 T pumpkin pie spice or 1 T cinnamon
- 1 T vanilla extract
- peanut butter powder, brown sugar, chopped pecans, raisins, chopped dates for topping (optional)
- Combine steel cut oats, water, pumpkin and salt in a slow cooker and stir until it's fully combined and there are no lumps of pumpkin.
- Cook on warm for 7-8 hours and then turn the slow cooker on the low setting and stir.
- When it is finished cooking add the pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract.
- Let the oatmeal cook for about 15-30 more minutes to thicken it up if needed.
- Stir once more and then serve warm with brown sugar and chopped pecans.