Chicken Bacon Ranch Bake
Pasta is one of my best friends … we’ve known each other for a long time. My little bestie is always showing up at my house … ready to get cooking. Pasta basically has an open invitation anytime so I really don’t mind …
All joking aside, when you have as many mouths to feed as I do, pasta is a fabulous way to stretch out your meals. One meal that the kiddos request EVERY week is chicken bacon ranch sandwiches. I think my son got the idea years ago from a pizza place. Whenever we ordered pizza, he always had to have one of those instead … so … I started making them myself. They’ve been hooked ever since!
One night I began to put together some chicken alfredo and it dawned on me to combine the two into one dish … my kids now consider me a genius… 🙂
This stuff is super tasty! My kids ate this whole casserole in a matter of minutes! You don’t know how happy this makes me. They are pretty easy to please but it’s nice when I get a reaction like this one.
This recipe is “semi-homemade”. The point of this dish is to be delicious … Uh, obviously … but also quick and easy to throw together. You probably have all of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry right now!
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- one jar of alfredo sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- a box of pasta
- a few strips of bacon
- a packet of ranch dressing seasoning mix
- swiss cheese
This is a dump, stir and bake kind of recipe. The kind that we mothers love to have on hand for those nights when you just don’t feel like cooking and cleaning. Make this ahead of time and stick it in the fridge. When you get home from work it will be ready for the oven and your kids will be really happy.
This is comfort food at it’s best … a big bowl of oohs and aahs.
I promise this recipe will be a big hit. Next time I make this I’m going to double it so that I can freeze one for the following week.
Don’t you just love your freezer sometimes? I know I do … it’s saved me a million times!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 12-16 oz. box of penne pasta
- 1 16 oz. jar alfredo sauce
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 packet of ranch flavored dressing mix
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked till crispy and chopped up. Put a little aside to sprinkle on top of the casserole before baking. (I use the REAL bacon bits in the little 4.5 oz. bag when I don’t have much time)
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided in half
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ casserole baking dish.
- Cook the pasta according to box directions to the “al dente” stage. Usually around 10 minutes for penne. Drain and set aside.
- If you don’t have any left over cooked chicken, either grab a rotisserie from the store … something I do pretty often … or … just cut up a couple of chicken breasts into small pieces. Sprinkle with a little seasoned salt and brown in a skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.
- In a large bowl stir together the alfredo sauce, sour cream, ranch flavoring, bacon pieces and 1 cup of the swiss cheese.
- Add the pasta and chicken. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, top with the remaining swiss cheese and baking bits.
- Go watch your favorite TV show while it bakes for 25-30 minutes or until it is bubbly and the top is starting to turn golden brown.
- Look into the oven … careful … don’t singe your eyebrows … smile…Dinner is ready.
- Carefully remove the delicious casserole from the oven and serve immediately with a side of french bread.